The site aims to put a face to the name, explain what areas of surveying I can help you with, and give you an idea about my approach.
Since qualifying in 1986, I have worked in private practice surveying firms in both North West and West London, dealing primarily with the residential market and with a particular focus on Building Surveys and Party Wall work.
I have also worked for a market research agency as Operations Director and during that time got involved in the core business of market research. This bought me into contact with people from all walks of life and helped develop my communication skills. I set up in sole practice in 2006.
I typically cover the north London area around my N2 base but regularly go much further afield especially if I can use public transport when in London.
My business is regulated by the RICS.
I always aim to be as approachable and accessible as I can in the manner and style of my verbal and written communication. If I’m not achieving this I always welcome client feedback.
It’s my profession, but many clients, be they residential or commercial, enter the built environment by default either as result of acquiring property, moving, extending or altering property, or perhaps on account of maintenance, both planned and unplanned. In some situations a client’s need for advice might have been imposed by the actions of others which can sometimes create its own set of problems.
The way I work
To achieve my goal of providing accessible surveying solutions I:
- question the brief if necessary and ask additional questions. Clients can sometimes ask for one thing when they might actually need something else
- establish the bigger picture - placing matters in context is often vital to understanding the instruction and delivering against it
- tell you straight away if the work is not within my sphere of expertise. I can usually point you towards the right person
- am prepared (where appropriate) to invest non-chargable time to meet with you or visit a site to understand the situation before taking on, or possibly turning down an instruction
- try, as far as possible, to provide a clear idea of what the work will cost
- ensure that the information I provide makes absolute sense to you so you can act upon it now or in the future
- be available to answer follow up questions without any additional charge
- use email/texts to keep things moving
- meet, if necessary, with clients at times they can manage when work/family commitments make meetings during working hours difficult
Being a sole practitioner also gives me flexibly that larger practices cannot always accommodate.
“We asked James to survey a relatively new house at short notice. He responded very quickly and we received a thorough, good-quality survey that picked up on flaws that no-one else had spotted - not even the original building control during the course of construction. Would we use him again? Yes, certainly.”
James Davidson BSc MRICS
James Davidson Limited
9 Shakespeare Gardens
Mobile: + 44 (0)7976 90 60 83
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8352 0878